If you’re not sure what the biggest difference between hair clippers (like a beard trimmer) is, you’re not alone. Many people have heard about these tools and do not understand the main difference between hair clippers and hair clippers.
But one thing is for sure. It will be easier for you to achieve the look you want if you understand the differences between these tools.
Let’s take a look at hair clippers and the main differences between them.
What is the hair clipper used for?
When technology wasn’t really in vogue, cutting hair was boring. It was also a waste of time, and the results were not as good as the haircuts now.
Barbers had to use scissors and combs to manually cut the thickets of hair. thanks God Leo. J. WahlThe man who invented the first electric hair clipper.
Clippers have replaced scissors, and guide combs have partially replaced combs.
Clippers are the number one tool needed to cut large sections of hair. They do the hard work. They come with guide combs, also called clipper guards, that allow you to determine how short your hair is.
thing like big scissorsThey can’t cut close to your scalp/skin. They lay the foundation for trimmers and shavers.
What is the use of a hair clipper?
After you’ve successfully cut most of your hair with the scissors, it’s time to brush up on more stuff. Clippers are useless if you want to create a fancy design or a clean outline. Therefore, you will need trimmers.
When it comes to lightly shaping, sculpting designs or cutting hair in hard-to-reach places, trimmers get the job done. They are built for detail and precision.
What you should pay attention to when buying trimmers is whether they are gap-free or not. If it’s not vacuum-free right out of the box, you should determine if it can be set.
The gapless trimmers give you the sharpest lines in the least amount of time.
Clipper vs Trimmer: Differences
Now that you know what hair clippers and clippers to use, let’s move on to the differences in more detail in the section below.
The shears have thick blades that you won’t find difficult to cut thicker and thicker hair. The teeth of the blades are also farther apart than with trimmers.
Thus, cutting long hair to a reasonably short length is the purpose of the scissors, and this applies not only to the hair of your head.
If you have grown yourself a thicket of beard and want to get an even trim on your own, you can do it with scissors. As already mentioned, a hair clipper is intended for heavy work when cutting hair.
Trimmers, on the other hand, have shallower, thinner blades that are visibly designed to give a close shave. Although not impossible, trimmers are not recommended for cutting long hair.
Aside from the fact that you might be yelling, “Oh” every few seconds of plucking, it may take longer than necessary and may dull your blades.
Trimmers cut hair in areas that scissors can never reach. These include the areas behind and around the ears, the back of the neck, etc.
While shears are a bit limited in their use, trimmers can be used for a wide variety of purposes.
You can use them to create great fades with the help of guide combs (a much smaller size than guide combs for cutting hair) or even the built-in adjustments, depending on the type/brand of the trimmer.
Note that not all trimmers come with guide combs. They are also good tools to get a close shave before using the right razor to get a clean shave.
All right to use Beard Trimming Tools Because its blades are usually made of hypoallergenic materials such as titanium and stainless steel.
Therefore, you do not have to worry about skin irritation even when shaving dry. It is also possible to get a clean shave with a gapless trimmer.
Furthermore, some people use trimmers to shave the groin area. Extreme caution is advised. You wouldn’t want any accidents to happen there.
Shears are often larger and heavier than trimmers. For this reason, it can be difficult to deal with, and your arm may get tired while cutting your hair.
On the other hand, trimmers are often more compact because they are designed to get into nooks and crannies, around the ears, etc.
A quick look at the differences in scissors and trimmer
|Lightweight and compact||huge and heavy|
|For precise shaving, designs and edges||To cut light hair|
|smaller blades||big blades|
|It is usually easy to handle||It can be hard to handle|
|Usually, it comes without attachments||They often come with attachments|
Do you need a clipper and trimmer?
For a complete, complete haircut, you will likely need clippers and a trimmer. But this is not true in all cases. If your hair is already shorter, you can get rid of it with just a razor.
But if several weeks or months pass between haircuts and you want a shortcut, you’ll need to use the scissors first to get rid of the bulk and then add finishing touches with the trimmer.
Pros and cons of clippers
To further explore the unique aspects of the cut, it is necessary to jump into the pros and cons. We’ll do that in the next section.
- They can cut thick and coarse hair easily.
- They often come with a wide variety of guide combs/accessories that give you various styling options.
- They are best for maintaining Afro hygiene.
- You can use the hair clipper to trim full beards before shaving or keep your full beard in shape.
- Clippers are an upgrade from scissors, making it easier to get a uniform cut on yourself.
- It won’t give you a close shave – you’ll need trimmers to do so.
- Shears are high maintenance, considering the fact that you need to oil them every time you use them.
- They are pretty much useless when it comes to styling short hair.
- Clippers tend to be heavy and not easy to handle.
Pros and cons of trimmers
Now, let’s dive into the pros and cons of trimmers in the following sections.
- It’s best for styling and styling short hair. For example, when I have a long beard, I usually use beard trimmers to give it a clean look.
- They can work as scissors if you are patient enough and your hair is not too coarse. The reason you have to be patient is that trimmers are not as good at cutting hair in bulk as scissors are.
- Can be used as a razor for men with sensitive skin. I have sensitive skin and usually use trimmers for easy shaving. The trimmers don’t cut too closely, but they also don’t cause razor bumps as I would often get when shaving wet or dry with a razor. If you are looking for a close shave, you will need to use a straight razor with wet or dry hair.
- There are trimmers made with hypoallergenic blades that do not irritate the skin.
- They are easier to maintain than shears.
- They effectively cut hair in hard-to-reach areas.
- Trimmers are compact and lighter than scissors and therefore easier to handle.
- They don’t always come with guide combs, which can make creating some designs and effects tricky.
- They’re not great for a long haircut – if you have long hair, you’ll need to start with a haircut.
- Good trimmers that can properly outline, sculpt and edge Afro-textured hair can be costly. You may be able to find good trimmers at a bargain price, but you will have to search high and low.
- They require extreme caution when using them as they can be very sharp.
For a complete haircut, you will likely need clippers and a trimmer. The trimmers are for smaller details like sideburns or beards while the scissors do all the heavy lifting to give you the perfect cut.
Now you know all there is to know about the differences between hair clippers and clippers. We hope you find this information useful and make it easier for you to style your hair at home.