To say that your parents and loved ones are very special to you is an understatement. You would likely do anything for them, which is why it is so important to know the signs of a stroke and how you can help them, if the need arises. Knowledge is everything when it comes to a medical emergency, and you can save a life or help prevent serious harm to your loved ones. Eat this, not that! I reached out to Dr. Mike Ball, MD, MPH, ALM, director of medical content and education at Ro, to find out how to recognize the signs of a stroke in someone. Read on to find out more, and then, don’t miss the 6 best exercises for strong, toned arms in 2022, says trainer.
Dr. Paul explains, “Strokes can be challenging, because the exact symptoms someone has a stroke will depend on which part of the brain is affected.” However, he adds, “There are certain parts of the brain that are affected more commonly than others, and as a result, certain symptoms appear more often than others.”
FAST is an acronym commonly used as a reference for identifying stroke symptoms. The letters represent the face (an uneven or drooping appearance on one side of the face); arms (a weak, paralyzed, or numb arm or leg); Speech (listening for trouble speaking or difficulty understanding speech), time (be sure to call 9-1-1 as soon as possible). The acronym BE FAST is also commonly used, where the letter B stands for balance (dizziness, lack of balance, confusion, or sudden headache); The letter E is for the eyes (look for sudden loss or change in vision). “A stroke usually affects one side of the body, with each half of the brain controlling one half of the body,” advises Dr. Pohl.
RELATED: Best Eating Habits to Lower Stroke Risk, Nutritionists Say
If you notice any of the signs of a possible stroke, call 9-1-1 immediately. Next, make sure the person is okay. If he is standing, have him lie down or sit to prevent him from falling. Make sure they do not eat, drink or take medication at all, as their ability to swallow can be affected, putting them at risk of choking.
If you are trained to perform CPR, do so if they lose consciousness and stop breathing. If possible, it is very useful to collect any information from the victim if they can still communicate which may be useful to the EMT. This information includes when symptoms began, relevant medical information, and any current medications or allergies of the stroke victim.
Related Topics: Make Sure You Have a Stroke
Time is crucial when someone has a stroke. Every minute translates to a loss of more brain cells. According to Dr. Ball, “The possibility of a full recovery depends in part on the affected part of the brain, but it can take months or even years to [regain] Careers. When someone has had a stroke (the type of stroke that occurs when there is a lack of blood flow), it is important that patients get their needed medication within 3-4.5 hours of the stroke starting, so hospitals strive to give the medication as soon as possible. possible and within 60 minutes of the patient’s arrival.”
Someone can have a stroke at any age, but the risk of having a stroke increases as you age. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 38% of stroke patients are hospitalized They are under 65 years of age, which means that the remaining 62% are aged 65 and over.
There is a type of mini-stroke called a transient ischemic attack (TIA). “The symptoms of a TIA only last for a few minutes or hours and go away within 24 hours,” Dr. Buhl explains. A TIA puts a person at greater risk of having a stroke.
In addition to explaining how to recognize the signs of a stroke, Dr. Pohl tells us about the difference between a heart attack and a stroke. Heart attacks and strokes occur when there is little blood flow. Actual bleeding in the brain is known as a hemorrhagic stroke. Dr. Ball further explains, “During a heart attack, there is a lack of blood flow to the heart, while during a stroke, there is a lack of blood flow to the brain. The main cause of both is atherosclerosis – a buildup of plaques within the arteries,” adding that “atherosclerosis narrows Arteries, which leads to reduced blood flow, and can also cause blood clots to form.”
The difference between a stroke and a heart attack depends on where in your body atherosclerosis occurs and where the clot forms. Dr. Pohl adds, “When you have plaque buildup in the coronary arteries (the arteries that supply the heart), you’re at risk of a heart attack. When you have plaque buildup in the carotid arteries or other arteries in the neck and brain, you’re at risk of having a stroke.”
It is essential that you know how to recognize the signs of a stroke and what to do so that you can help your loved one in a potential health crisis.
Alexa is the deputy editor of Mind + Body at Eat This, Not That!, and she oversees the M+B channel and introduces readers to fitness, wellness, and self-care topics. Read more